Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spring and Parenting

I love spring. It is my favorite season for many reasons.  I love the sunshine, the flowers coming up out of the previously frozen ground, and the calming rain that will eventually bring new life to the grass and trees.  I also love to open all the windows in our house and let the fresh air drive out the staleness of winter.  With it being March 1st, I feel like spring is just around the corner, and I can't wait!

This year spring will also bring about a new beginning for Ashley and I.  We will get to welcome little Jude into this world and become parents to a newborn infant.  As excited as I am for this, I am also apprehensive about raising a child of my own.  Ashley and I don't want to just raise our children so they just survive in this world, but we want to raise them to love and serve the Lord.  Over the past 9 months I have had the privilege of experiencing firsthand how my mother-in-law and father-in-law made this their first priority with their sons.  Being married to Ashley, I knew he was raised in a manner different than most children; he has such a pure heart for God and is a better man than most.  However, I always assumed that part of what I saw in Ashley was due to maturity and age, but now that I have lived with Sean for 9 months I realize that my in-laws instilled values into all their children that most kids don't get.  I want to be a parent like that.  It is a scary task, but hopefully one that I can live up to with the help of Ashley and friends and family surrounding us.

No comments:

Post a Comment